Saturday, September 15, 2012

Tea Dyed Chicken Wire Valance

Sometimes having a messy craft room can create a happy accident.  Like a few weeks ago when a piece of chicken wire I'd left on the floor got all tangled up with some old gauzy drapery material.  




I kinda had one of those chocolate in the peanut butter, Reeses Peanut Butter Cup moments and I knew the chicken wire and old drapes were meant to be together.
  








But that fabric was white... I mean tighty-whitey white.  So I decided to tone it down a bit with some tea dying.  I used about 4 bags of black tea in a big pot and left it in the bath for 10 minutes.  Just enough to take off the tighty whiteness. 



 Then it was rinsed with vinegar to set the color and run through a gentle cycle in the washer with no detergent.  While it was drying I cut my chicken wire to size. 


Although I think there is something you should know about.   Political correctness has come to the barnyard.  When I asked for "chicken wire" at the hardware store I was corrected and shown the "poultry netting".



 So what has happened here, did our feathered friends get fed-up with the derogatory use of the word "chicken"?  Have they had it up to their beaks with people saying,"Come on, I dare you,  what are you chicken"? Seriously, the chickens must have gotten all up-in-arms, oh pardon me, up-in-wings over the issue. 



source

Hey I'm all for respecting our farmyard friends so I cut my "poultry netting" 10 inches wide and the length of my kitchen windows.

After the fabric dried, it was cut into 2 1/2" strips and the fun was about to happen.  I wove the fabric through the wire holes up and down the rows and just tied on a new piece when I reached the end.  To avoid having all the ties in the same location, I cut some of the strips into different lengths.



It still wasn't quite right so the last few strips went back in the tea dip to darken a bit.  They were dried and tied on the edge of the valance and in some random spots to give it a more aged look.  The "poultry netting" was then stapled to a long board and attached to the window frame....done!




It turned out almost exactly as I pictured for once, a barely there valance that lightly filters the western sun in the afternoon.  I think I'm really going to like this practically free, accident of a window treatment.



As for my new found respect for the plight of the poultry, I think the first meal in our kitchen with the new valance is going to be  Chicken a la King!  After all every chicken deserves to be treated like royalty.  

Cluck, cluck, cluck












PS:  Just for fun I thought I'd show you where this kitchen started when we moved in.  It has a pretty amazing renovation story here   and here.





54 comments:

  1. This is super adorable!!! And very creative,too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, you KNOCK my SOCKS off... and I was already barefoot. I think I will put these on my to do list. They are so cute, totally perfect and inspired. So glad you are sharing them at Funky Junk!! I was going to tell you to share them the second I saw them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, light, airy and perfect topper for that area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love this. LOVE this!! I mean ... I REALLY LOVE this!! So pretty, so creative, but the best part is that I haven't seen this done anywhere else. You need to patent your "poultry netting" valance. I'm pinning it and showing this to my daughter who I know will just crow over it. :) Ya done good, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get out! I can't believe how clever & how absolutely fabulous this is! Love it!

    By the way, I will have to hereby refer to chicken wire as poulty wire because I am scared as heck at that nasty looking chicken! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only is this gorgeous, it's so incredibly creative. I'm making a mess on my floor next! :)

    Shared all over the land for SNS 152. :)

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151173344036141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! You know it's now going to be showing up everywhere. Lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This is a sure fire VIRAL in the making. You heard it here first. :)

      Delete
  8. How creative!! I love it! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG..not often that I LOVE something..but this is beyond LOVE..it's obsessive WOWZY YUMMY HEART HAPPINESS!!! Oh and the fact that you have "poultry netting" on your craft floor is AWESOME!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much fun! Love your 'poultry netting' and what a fabulous job you have done on your kitchen! Any chicken would be honoured to be served here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got to pin this! Tea-totally beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I am so impressed! That project is so cute and your kitchen looks amazing. I love seeing before and afters. I found you through FB that Shannon posted a link. I am going to go follow you now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally creative! Looks great in the space.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great and very creative idea, think I might have to use it myself:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! I just love how it looks!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  16. very creative! looks great in your kitchen!!! I ordered a roll of chicken wire and has just arrived this week! I am beyond excited to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so cool!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great idea! When I move into my house I just might have to borrow your idea!In fact I will! great job I will be following you from now on to see what you come up with next! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just love it so much! Pretty funny post too:):) Thanks for the laugs. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm giving you a Standing O right now for this most marvelous accident!! Bravo, Bravo!!! I simply love it. Pinning! Sharing on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/iGottaCreate

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stopping by to pin this, very original and cute!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is amazingly original! What a great idea ... and it all started here first!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, maybe I should change my blog name to "it all started with poultry netting"? You like??

      Delete
  23. Lynn,
    I can just see the guys at IFA scratching their heads, and wondering how come they are going through poultry netting like crazy-- *giggle*!
    You've started a trend... all across the globe, wives are telling their husbands that they are making valances with chicken wire.

    Love your chicken wire, and fabric....made for a very fortuitous project.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these valances, such a great idea! Set the chickens, er, poultry free!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea ... looks so good in your kitchen with the filtered light.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lynn, Your "accident" is really one of the most creative and inspiring ideas I have seen in a long time!!! I love it on your windows!
    Please join me at StoneGable for TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS, my weekly dyi linky party. This would be such a welcomed addition! Link goes live Wednesday at 8:00!
    Chicken wire and gauzey material... a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE these! You are amazing once again!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Lynn I accidentally stumbled upon your blog and I love it! Those chicken wire curtains ar brillant! I'm your newest follower! I'm sure the chickens are much happier with the poultry labal! :) Traci

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow- what a great idea, Lynn!
    I can't believe that about the Chicken wire... ahem... Poultry Netting! It brought to mind the children's book "Click Clack Moo, Cows that Type" (the chickens go on strike, along with the cows!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lynn, it turned out so beautiful!! Once my renovations are through...you are coming to decorate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. How beautiful and just right for your kitchen! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! What a cool idea. This is the most clever idea I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Really,really,cute! Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa

    http://americangirlinholland.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gasp! What a beautiful discovery. I want to go get some chicken wire now! Your before and after photos are so exciting--what a lot of love and work you put into that kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my gosh!! I love it. You are so creative. It looks fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. You have inspired me! I so need to make those curtains :) i feel a craft night at Teresa's coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just too pretty for words!!! Such a brilliant idea, thank sso much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, this is so unique never seen that before! Coming from Debbies and so glad I did, really enjoyed this make-over

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love this valance. Also love the lights over the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That is absolutely gorgeous!!! I've hung curtains I made over my kitchen/dining room windows, but I'm inspired to change them... My husband will be thrilled...NOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is a super cute idea. I don't really understand how you mounted it to the window frame. Could you explain it to me? Thank you. Just came to visit from Savvy Southern Style. I am now a follower, Thanks! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, these are really cool! I don't think I ever would have had the idea that they would go together but they sure do!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my trailer!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow! This is gorgeous and so creative! You are too funny...and Im your newest follower ;)
    Im Deborah (purehunnybee) Looking forward to this walk of friendship!

    All my heart,
    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete